Now you have a functional LMS for your team. But how should you restrict access? Great question! There are 3 primary ways you can accomplish this:
- A membership plugin (WooCommerce Membership, etc)
- Use the LearnDash Course Access plugin
- Use the Groups plugin
The good news is you don’t have to decide. We’ve tested each solution and feel the Groups plugin is hands down the way to go. As cool as a membership plugin sounds (we’ve used them), Groups does what you need, is lightweight and best of all – it’s FREE.
1) Go to WP-Admin > Plugins and click Add New.
2) Type Groups in the search field.
3) If you don’t have the plugin yet, there will be an Install Now button. Click that and then click Activate after it installs.
4) Now go to LearnDash LMS > Courses. We’re going to set a group access restriction on all of your current courses at once.
5) Check the box by Title so that all of your courses are checked. Then choose Edit from the drop down directly above this and click Apply.
6) All of your courses should now be in edit mode. On the lower right by Groups, choose Add restriction from the drop down, and then click in the empty field and type Registered. Click Update.
7. Now do the same thing for for your lessons. LearnDash LMS > Lessons.
That’s it! Now if you open a browser that you’re not signed into your site on, and attempt to go to one of the courses or lessons, it will direct you to your site’s 404 not found page.
You can simply add text on this page telling people to sign in if they’re looking for info.