How to Export Contacts from Mautic
Exporting contacts sounds like a simple task. In applications like MailChimp it actually is. But in the world of Mautic… not so much. The good news? The functionality is there, you just have to take a few extra steps.
Exporting Contacts from Mautic
The first time I needed to get data out of Mautic, it was done by accessing the MySQL database directly, because I couldn’t figure out how to do it in the application. Now I know the reporting feature is the way to go, but it isn’t very intuitive IMHO. Here’s the steps that will keep you from bashing into the wall:
1. Click on Reports on the left side of the Mautic admin.
2. Create and name a new report.
3. Select Contacts Segment Membership for the ‘Data Source.’
4) Click the Data tab and choose the columns you want to export. Simply click them on the left and they’ll appear on the right. You can then drag and drop to order.
5) Click Apply and then Save and Close (or just the latter, whatever).
6) BOOYAH! There’s your data. Now to export your contacts from Mautic simply click the menu arrow on the top right of the report screen, and select the output you want.
Not too bad, right? Again, exporting contacts from Mautic isn’t as straightforward as we’d like, but at the end of the day, as long as we can get the data, who cares?
Why We Moved from Mautic
We’ve been Mautic users for at least two years now. There are a lot things we love about this Open Source InfusionSoft (as I describe it). But for us, there were too many hiccups.
- The upgrade function in Mautic is buggy. At least half of the time we tried to apply updates, it didn’t work. This means going to the server command line to get it done.
- No easy way (at this time) to specify the time of day emails are delivered. This is a BIG DEAL.
- You have to mess with cron jobs on the server to keep Mautic running.
- The email creation piece is lacking in all kinds of ways.
- Sometimes updates do bad things, like cause your forms to hang.
- We aren’t server experts, to there’s a huge vulnerability to hosting this yourself.
The Mautic Replacement We Moved To
I’m grateful for the time Mautic has given us, but we decided to move to a WordPress driven CRM called Cultivate™. Cultivate is designed to meet a big need out there for a flexible WordPress CRM designed for small businesses and network marketing professionals. It allows for custom fields, groups and campaigns. It also integrates with MailChimp and Project Broadcast. It’s all-in-one solution that ties in WordPress, texting and email campaigns in a beautiful way.
Thanks for reading! Hopefully these instructions saved you some time and if you’re interested in Cultivate, we hope you’ll check it out!